About MIRA - IR Award
MALAYSIA INVESTOR RELATIONS (IR) AWARDS 2018
The Investor Relations Awards 2018 (IR Awards) is the largest annual event in the Malaysian Investor Relations Association (MIRA)'s calendar. For the eigth consecutive year, MIRA is proud to host the IR Awards, which marks the culmination of a dedicated initiative by the Association in advancing and promoting good IR practices among listed entities in Malaysia. The awards will be presented at a luncheon which will be held on Wednesday, 5 December 2018 at Level 1, Ballrooms 1 & 2, Sime Darby Convention Centre, Kuala Lumpur.
Objectives of the IR Awards
- To recognise and celebrate the achievements of top IR performers from the Malaysian listed entities through a comprehensive, independent IR Survey and poll of all relevant buy-side and sell-side firms investing in or covering Malaysian equities
- To promote good corporate governance, advocating greater transparency and timely, fair disclosure which will ultimately enhance shareholder value for all companies
- To highlight to other public-listed companies and IR practitioners the exemplary IR practices that they might seek to emulate
- To recognise the diversity in IR activities and practices which will eventually help boost the standards of IR in these areas
- To raise the bar for excellence in IR so that the IR function will be regarded as an essential part of corporate DNA
Overview of the Annual Malaysian IR Survey
In recognition of best IR practices by professionals and public-listed companies listed on Bursa Malaysia, MIRA engages an independent international firm to conduct the Malaysian IR Survey. This is aimed at leveraging on the firm's survey database of investment professionals to participate in the Survey.
The Survey approach is based on:
- A carefully compiled, yet simple questionnaire to help elicit as high response levels as possible.
- Provision of website for voting, as well as e-mailed questionnaire forms and telephone contact, to give the widest coverage and opportunity for participants.
- Highly targeted potential respondent listings - Responses were only accepted from legitimate investment professionals at brokerage firms/asset managers.
- Provision of final results, based on verified, weighted responses, to give validity to the findings, and to give greater value to votes from the more influential buy-side and sell-side institutions.
Buy-side and sell-side professionals globally were invited to participate in the Survey. Only legitimate investment professionals investing in or covering Malaysia were included in the results. Investment professionals include those from asset management firms (of any proper type; long only, Sovereign Wealth Funds (SWFs), wealth managers, private equity and hedge funds) and brokerage houses or equity research providers.
Each voter will only be allowed to vote once, and it will be allowable for any voter to give partial response only (i.e. they do not have to complete every part of the question categories in order for their nominations to be accepted). When voting they will be encouraged to submit multiple nominations, scoring firms/individuals in ranking order based on overall quality of knowledge, service and interaction.
Once nominations have been received, checked and verified, at the close of the poll, calculation and compilation of results will be done. All nominations in each category will be treated separately, and used only to form the result for that category. There will not be any aggregation of nominations across various categories. Nominations from multiple individuals at the same firm will be consolidated to form a view from that firm. This is to eliminate any bias in voting. Separate rankings and results for companies and individuals were collected for the following categories:-
- Large Cap
- Medium Cap
- Small Cap
- Micro Cap
10 categories surveyed are polled under Large, Mid, Small and Micro based on company size (market capitalisation) referenced against the basket of companies under the FTSE Bursa Malaysia Index Series during that period. The following are the categories polled:-
- Best Company for IR
- Best CEO for IR
- Best CFO for IR
- Best IR Professional
- Best IR Website
- Best IR for an IPO in 2017
- Business Knowledge & Insights of an IR Team
- Most Improved Service from an IR Team
- Quality of Annual Reports/Formal Disclosure
- Quality of One-on-One Meetings
- VIPs in attendance - Chief Executive Officer of Bursa Malaysia Berhad, Yang Berbahagia Datuk Seri Tajuddin Atan and Chairman/Deputy Chief Executive Officer of Securities Commission Malaysia
- Keynote address by VIP
- More than 100 nominees in 10 different award categories
- More than 200 representatives from the Malaysian IR community and listed entities are expected to be present at the Awards Ceremony