About MIRA - IR Award
MALAYSIA INVESTOR RELATIONS (IR) AWARDS 2017
The Investor Relations Awards 2017 (IR Awards) is the largest annual event in the Malaysian Investor Relations Association (MIRA)'s calendar. For the seventh consecutive year, MIRA is proud to host the IR Awards, which marks the culmination of a dedicated initiative by the Association in advancing and promoting good IR practices among listed entities in Malaysia. The awards will be presented at a luncheon which will be held on Wednesday, 2 August 2017 at Ballrooms 2 & 3, Sime Darby Convention Centre, Kuala Lumpur.
Objectives of the IR Awards
- To recognise and celebrate the achievements of top IR performers from the Malaysian listed entities through a comprehensive, independent IR Survey and poll of all relevant buy-side and sell-side firms investing in or covering Malaysian equities
- To promote good corporate governance, advocating greater transparency and timely, fair disclosure which will ultimately enhance shareholder value for all companies
- To highlight to other public-listed companies and IR practitioners the exemplary IR practices that they might seek to emulate
- To recognise the diversity in IR activities and practices which will eventually help boost the standards of IR in these areas
- To raise the bar for excellence in IR so that the IR function will be regarded as an essential part of corporate DNA
Overview of the Annual Malaysian IR Survey
In recognition of best IR practices by professionals and public-listed companies listed on Bursa Malaysia, MIRA engaged EXTEL to conduct the 7th Malaysian IR Survey (the Survey). This is aimed at leveraging on EXTEL's survey database of investment professionals to participate in the Survey, which will be conducted between April 2017 and July 2017.
The Survey approach is based on:
- A carefully compiled, yet simple questionnaire to help elicit as high response levels as possible.
- Provision of website for voting, as well as e-mailed questionnaire forms and telephone contact, to give the widest coverage and opportunity for participants.
- Highly targeted potential respondent listings - Responses were only accepted from legitimate investment professionals at brokerage firms/asset managers.
- Provision of final results, based on verified, weighted responses, to give validity to the findings, and to give greater value to votes from the more influential buy-side and sell-side institutions.
Buy-side and sell-side professionals globally were invited to participate in the Survey. Only legitimate investment professionals investing in or covering Malaysia were included in the results. Investment professionals include those from asset management firms (of any proper type; long only, Sovereign Wealth Funds (SWFs), wealth managers, private equity and hedge funds) and brokerage houses or equity research providers.
Each voter will only be allowed to vote once, and it will be allowable for any voter to give partial response only (i.e. they do not have to complete every part of the question categories in order for their nominations to be accepted). When voting they will be encouraged to submit multiple nominations, scoring firms/individuals in ranking order based on overall quality of knowledge, service and interaction.
Once nominations have been received, checked and verified, at the close of the poll, calculation and compilation of results will be done. All nominations in each category will be treated separately, and used only to form the result for that category. There will not be any aggregation of nominations across various categories. Nominations from multiple individuals at the same firm will be consolidated to form a view from that firm. This is to eliminate any bias in voting.
Separate rankings and results for companies and individuals were collected for the following categories:-
- Large Cap
- Medium Cap
- Small Cap
- Micro Cap
10 categories surveyed by EXTEL are polled under Large, Mid, Small and Micro based on company size (market capitalisation) referenced against the basket of companies under the FTSE Bursa Malaysia Index Series during that period. The following are the categories polled:-
- Best Company for IR
- Best CEO for IR
- Best CFO for IR
- Best IR Professional
- Best IR Website
- Best IR for an IPO in 2016
- Best Business Knowledge & Insights of an IR Team
- Most Improved Service from an IR Team
- Best Quality of Annual Reports/Formal Disclosure
- Best Quality of One-on-One Meetings
- Speech by the Chief Executive Officer of Bursa Malaysia Berhad, Yang Berbahagia Datuk Seri Tajuddin Atan
- Keynote address by Chief Executive Officer of Securities Commission Malaysia
- More than 180 nominees in 10 different award categories
- More than 350 representatives from the Malaysian IR community and listed entities are expected to be present at the Awards Ceremony